Light & healthy chicken breasts with tons of fresh flavors
Winter vegetables. Savoy cabbage. This is my first time trying to cook with it, but when I looked at its strong, green leaves it was clear to me that I had to wrap something in it. Chicken was my meat of choice and this is how we got here.
I’ve been eating lots of heavy winter food recently, to I figured it would be nice to switch it up a bit. This dish is really fresh and light with citrus notes dominating. The chicken breast is tender with a fresh, spring like filling and white wine soaked cherry tomatoes to add a bit of balance to the dish.
It’s perfect for a light lunch and will also make all of those protein junkies among you very happy.
Let’s do it! 🙂
4 small chicken breasts (100g each or two large chicken breast cut in halves)
4 large savoy cabbage leaves
200g feta cheese
300ml dry white wine
a handfull cherry tomatoes
zest of one lemon
a splash of milk
a splash of cream
a bunch of fresh chives, chopped
one stalk fresh rosemary
a know of butter
1. Blanch the cabbage leaves: place in a pot with water, bring to boil for a minute or two, then drain and rinse with ice cold water.
2. In the meantime, mash the feta in a bowl with lemon zest, half the chives and a splash of milk until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Then coat the chicken with the feta mixture. Place in the middle of one of the cabbage leaves and wrap them around the chicken tightly so that the whole chicken breast is covered. Use two pieces of threat to keep everything in place. In case it’s hard to wrap the chicken with the cabbage leaf cut off a part of the stalk.
4. Place the chicken breasts in a pan, add white wine, water, butter, rosemary and cherry tomatoes and bring to boil. Cover with a lid and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken breast is cooked through. Turn the chicken breast after about 10 minutes.
5. Once ready, take the chicken breasts and the cherry tomatoes out of the pan and set aside. Add a splash of cream, the rest of the fresh chives, quickly bring to boil and let reduce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with some nice steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes. Enjoy! 🙂