Fool proof delicious recipe for a fresh & healthy bread with incredible crust
About a year ago I posted a super quick & easy rye bread recipe here for the first time. This bread takes it all to the next level. Soft texture, beautifully scented with the bread spices and a crust to kneel down for. It’s amazing! And the best thing is that it only takes 15 minutes to prepare (+ baking time, that is).
Compared to the previous rye bread recipe, which was vegan, this time buttermilk and soda ensure that the dough becomes nice and fluffy. So if you prefer not to use dairy products, just go for the original rye bread recipe.
You can also use other seeds instead of flax seeds, pinhead oats are brilliant as well. Just take whatever you like best. In the end, cooking is about making something you really like.
So, let’s get going! 🙂
250g rye flour
100g wholewheat flour
1 tbsp bread spice (mix of ground caraway, coriander, anise seeds and cumin)
1 heaped tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F.
2. Place rye and wholewheat flour, flax seeds, baking soda, salt, sugar and bread spices in a bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and vinegar.
4. Use a fork to stir the egg mixture into the flour, then as it starts to come together, use your hands to pat and bring the dough together. Make sure to integrate the flour as quickly as possible for a fluffy loaf of bread.
5. Shape the dough into a ball and place onto a lightly floured baking tray. Shape the dough into a disk roughly 6-7cm thick.
6. Score a criss-cross pattern into the top of the bread with the blunt edge of a knife, then bake in the centre of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a firm crust has formed and it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
7. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool.