Delicious winter treat for a day cuddling on the couch
Hmmmmm these buns are just super awesome! They are so warming and delicious, perfect for a day when it’s cold and grey outside and you just want to cuddle up on your couch with a blanket and a cup of tea. The great thing? They are also healthy 🙂
I used spelt and rye flour, so these treats are very wholesome. Also, cinnamon, apple and honey in combination with the sweetness of the raisins and the distinct rye flavor remind me a lot of ginger bread – perfect for the season! Crunchy almonds complement the whole ginger bread idea perfectly. Additionally, they are high in protein, provide healthy omega 3 fatty acids, and, just like raisins, are high in minerals and bring a lovely sweetness. Cinnamon gets your metabolism going and last but not least apple provides vitamins and fiber. Not to forget that cinnamon-apple-raisin combos are simply to die for 🙂
Once again, this is a super quick and easy recipe, because there is not proofing required. Sooooooo let’s get moving, shall we? I simply can’t wait to make and eat another batch of these sweeties 😀
250g spelt flour
150g rye flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 apples, core removed, grated
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp runny honey
2 hand full chipped almonds + some extra
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F.
2. Place rye and spelt flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, cloves, raisins, grated apples, chipped almonds and honey in a large bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk together.
4. Use a fork to stir the egg mixture into the flour, then as it starts to come together, use your hands to pat and bring the dough together.
5. Split the dough into 12 pieces and form even sized balls and flatten top and bottom so you end up with a disk shape (it’s easiest to do so when you wet your hands with cold water before).
6. Cut a cross into the top of your buns and sprinkle with chipped almonds.
7. Place on the medium rack of your oven and bake for about 20 minutes until a firm crust has formed.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a bit on a wire rack.
Best serve while still warm with a cup of good tea, coffee or cocoa. Enjoy!!