Melted cheese in a crunchy crust, warm apples, great fall flavors
I really love salads, but when it gets colder outside I feel like I need to add a bit of substance to them, as they leave me a bit unsatisfied if it’s just vegetables and nothing else.
This salad is really great for fall, because you have delicious, warm, melted cheese, sweet, baked apples to complement it and the pumpkin seed crust adds a nice, yet healthy, crunch. Additionally, it features nourishing beans and potatoes – so all in all you have your proteins and good carbs covered – essential fatty acids, antioxidants and minerals from the pumpkin seed oil and last but not least vegetables for more vitamins and to loosen everything up a bit.
“But why is this a Styrian-style salad?”, you may ask. Well, Styria is a province in Austria famous for its pumpkin seed oil, which is also referred to as black gold there, and part of any Styrian dish (I mean it, they even put it on vanilla ice cream!). There is also the traditional Styrian deep fried chicken salad that entails deep fried chicken strips, potatoes, lamb’s lettuce and pumpkin seeds oil. However, (since Neni’s Kitchen is still about fusion cuisine) I thought it would be nice to give the whole thing a little twist and make a vegetarian version that fits the season.
Ok, just a few notes: if you don’t like radicchio salad since it’s quite bitter you could replace it by rocket, which should also work quite well. Also, if you feel like you need more veggies, cherry tomatoes would be fine or just add carrots for additional crunchiness.
I’ve had this recipe on my mind for a really long time, so I’m ver happy to finally share it with you 🙂
For the salad
300g camembert, cut into 6 pieces
600g waxy potatoes
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
1 bulb of fennel, chopped
150g scarlet runner beans
4 hand full lamb’s lettuce, washed
1/2 radicchio salad, washed & torn into pieces
3 apples, cored, divided into eights
70g pumpkin seeds, chipped
a splash of milk
For the dressing
6 tbsp olive oil extra vergine
4 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp dijon mustard
pumpkin seed oil
1. In a large pot with salted water boil boil your potatoes until cooked through. Drain in a colander and leave to cool off for a bit.
2. Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F.
3. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and spread the apples pieces over the tray, leaving some room for the camembert pieces.
4. Next, whisk together the eggs and milk in a small bowl. Place the chipped pumpkin seeds on a separate plate. Dip the camembert in the egg mixture until thoroughly covered. Next, turn the camembert in pumpkin seeds and place them on the baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until soft on the inside and the pumkin seeds on the outside are lightly toasted.
5. While cheese and apples are in the oven, peel the potatoes and cut into slices. Place in a big bowl and add red onion, fennel, beans, lamb’s lettuce and radiccio.
6. In a next step, prepare the dressing by mixing together olive oil, cider vinegar, mustard, water and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and mix thoroughly.
7. Once the cheese is ready, remove from the oven and place the camembert and apple pieces on top of your salad. Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil and sprinkle with watercress.
Here you go! Enjoy a wonderful fall salad 🙂