Crispy creamy deliciousness
I came up with this recipe when I came home after a workout and was just looking for something nice, balanced and easy, and had some tortillas left to use. I ended up liking the quesadilla so much that I made another one the day after and finally decided to also share it with you 🙂
In this case, the bacon really adds a little something to the whole dish and works perfectly with cheese, green peppers and chicken. Top it with sour cream and you’re close to food heaven. I really think you can never go wrong with creamy guacamole and the tomato salsa just adds lightness to the whole dish.
As I said, this is quite balanced, you have lots of proteins from chicken and cheese, good fatty acids from guacamole and the plenty of veggies in the quesadilla, salsa and guacamole. Also, I used a whole wheat tortilla to make the whole dish even more wholesome. If you want to step it up further, serve with salad on the side.
Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as starter
2 medium sized soft shell tacos
2 tbsp sour cream, to serve
For the filling
150g chicken breast, cut into stripes
60g cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp bacon bits
1/2 green bell pepper, cubed
1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp sweet paprika powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin powder
olive oil extra vergine
For the guacamole
1 ripe avocado, hut into halves, stone discarded, flesh removed
2 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 red chili, deseeded, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
a small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
juice of half a lime
1 tbsp olive oil extra vergine
For the tomato salsa
6 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 handful flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
juice of half a lime
a lug of olive oil
1. First, prepare the guacamole: in a bowl, mash the avocado with a fork, then add chopped garlic, coriander, cherry tomato, lime juice, chili, olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. For the salsa, mix cherry tomatoes, spring onion, parsley, lime juice, olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. In a next step, prepare the filling of the quesadilla: Heat a pan with the bacon bits and fry at high heat. In the mean time, season your chicken stripes with sweet paprika powder, salt, cayenne pepper and pepper and then add them to the pan stirring frequently. Once the chicken bits are golden and crispy, add the bell pepper and after another 30 seconds or so the chopped red onion and keep stirring. Fry until the onion has softened, season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
4. Heat a dry non-sticky pan at medium heat with the first tortilla, evenly spread the filling, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and top with the second tortilla. Fry for about one and a half minutes on each side until the tortillas are crispy on the outside.
5. Cut into quarters and serve with sour cream, tomato salsa and guacamole.