For a fresh and healthy start of the day
I remember when I was a little girl my grandmother always used to make porridge for my sister and me. She had this very basic recipe where you just cook the oats in salted water and serve the porridge with fresh cream. Today still, this is my favorite version of porridge.
However, spring is in the air felt it was time to get a bit out of my porridge comfort zone and try something fresh and new. This recipe kind of reminds me of a lemon-poppy seed muffin (LOVE lemon poppy seed muffins by the way), but it’s also creamy and simply delicious! The spring-is-here porridge is fresh, has lots of texture and is very healthy, too! So here it goes:
80g rolled oats
1 ripe pear
1 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp chipped almonds
2 tbsp honey
1 lemon zest
1 pinch of salt
1. Place oats, water and milk in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add poppy seeds and a pinch of salt and stir with a cooking spoon.
3. Bring to a steady simmer for about 5 minutes stirring as often as you can to make the porridge creamy.
4. In the meantime, add the chipped almonds to a non-sticky frying pan and toast at medium heat until golden stirring occasionally.
5. Quarter and core the pears and grate coarsely. If you want to, you can peel the pear. I just usually don’t, because a) most vitamins are located directly underneath the peel and peeling the vitamins off doesn’t make sense in my eyes and b) I’m too lazy 😉
6. Stir the grated pear, lemon juice and most of the honey through the porridge.
6. Serve with toasted almonds on top and the rest of the honey drizzled over.
Last but not least, enjoy! 🙂