Traditional Austrian meets racy Spanish
Gröstl, or typically Tyrolian gröstl, is a traditional Austrian dish, often served in a skiing hut in the Alps. Usually, gröstl is a go-to dish for left-over potatoes fried with bacon and onions. As most Austrian food, it is absolutely delicious. Healthy? Well, maybe not, but everybody deserves a treat once in a while 😉
To jazz things up a bit and since I still had spicy chorizo from my last Barcelona visit I decided it was the right time for Spanish gröstl, for which I replaced bacon by chorizo. Now, chorizo has this fantastic smokey paprika flavor which works incredibly with lemon, so the gröstl is topped off with a fragrant mix of fresh parsley, lemon zest and finely chopped garlic just to give it a nice kick. Just keep in mind that due to onions and fresh garlic this is not a dish you want to eat before going on a date or meeting your significant other 😉 However, they say that the way to the heart is through the stomach, so you could also share a plate of gröstl.
This Spanish gröstl is a very down-to earth, quick and easy dish to prepare and tastes awesome. If you want to go full on Austrian (or you’re very hungry or have an untamable desire for additional protein), top the gröstl with a fried egg, it’s what I typically do. Trust me, it’s good! So try it out and bring Austro-Spanish feeling to your dinner table! 🙂
700g waxy potatoes, cooked in their skin, peeled, cut into 3mm thick slices
1 onion, peeled, sliced
300g chorizo, cut into thin slices
a bunch of fresh flat leave parsley, stalks removed, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
olive oil extra vergine
4 eggs (optional)
1. Heat a generous lug of olive oil, add the onions and roast at medium heat until light brown.
2. Add the potatoes and roast while turning from time to time.
3. Next, add chorizo and keep roasting. The crispier the dish the more delicious it tastes! Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Mix lemon zest, chopped parsley and garlic in a little bowl.
(Optional step: Heat a lug of olive oil in a pan, add the eggs and fry until cooked through, season to taste with salt an pepper.)
5. Once chorizo and potatoes are crispy, take off the heat, top with your lemon-parsley-garlic mix and serve right away with a slice of fresh lemon.
As a side dish, I recommend a simple green salad. Enjoy!